Chips!! I think besides guacamole they are my biggest weakness. Well, cheese too. But chips, cheese and guacamole are things I can never say no to! Especially BBQ Sweet Potato Chips, dusted with a homemade spice mixture and fried to perfection!
They are sweet, spicy, crisp, and salty. What’s not to love! PLUS they actually go quite perfectly with guacamole and salsa… so that’s a win. To say these are addictive is an understatement. They are literally out of this world and so easy to make! I’ve been snacking on them left and right and bringing them out for all game day viewing parties the last few weeks. You can bet they’ll be out in full force next weekend for Super Bowl!
I’m a fan of the BBQ spice mixture recipe you’ll find below, but you could opt for a simple salt and pepper seasoning if that’s more your jam. Or spice things up even more with an extra 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper if you want to really bring the heat.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Canola Oil for Frying
- 1-½ tablespoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- While the oil is heating up, thinly slice the sweet potatoes using a mandolin.
- In a small dish, mix together the spices and season with salt
- Once the oil is hot, transfer a handful of the sliced California sweet potatoes into the oil and fry for a few minutes until crisp. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, flip the chips over halfway through the frying process to ensure even cooking.
- Once the chips are crisp, remove them from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and transfer them onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. While the chips are still wet with oil, dust them with the homemade BBQ seasoning mixture.
- Let the chips dry and any excess oil be absorbed by the paper towel.
- Once the chips are cooled, serve as needed.
- Alternatively, if you’re saving these for later, let them cool even more, and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Check out the video for step-by-step directions on how to whip these up! And then make some at home – because I can promise that you’ll absolutely love them!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!