Guess what today is?!?! It’s my birthday! Only my favorite holiday of the year, right after Cinco de Mayo! Well I guess it might be tied with Cinco de Mayo – but whatever! Birthdays are my favorite, whether it’s my birthday or a friends. They are a day to celebrate and shower someone with love, and drink fun festive cocktails! And that is exactly what I am doing today!
Today I’m writing to your from Texas! I’m here at the International Association of Culinary Professionals aka IACP, my favorite conference of the year, and I am so excited to celebrate my birthday Texas style with some amazing people like Aida, Jessica, Elise, Jaden, Shauna, Penny and so many more! So I guess there will be a little more than celebrating going on – I mean I need to learn a thing or two at this conference
Last week I celebrated my birthday with some close friends back in LA and made this festive spring/summery drink to celebrate. The Boozy Strawberry Limeade might be even better than the Rhubarb Margaritas I made a few weeks back. It’s not too sweet, which is good, because hangovers really suck, and its all freshly juiced so none of those mixes which leave you with the worst sugar headaches.
This is the perfect drink to celebrate this weeks Spring Fling! It’s all about strawberries and right now you can find ah-mazing strawberries all around southern California! They made for quite an excellent cocktail.
Make them. Drink them. And I promise you’ll love ’em!
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberry, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- 4-6 oz Silver or Blanco Tequila (depending on how boozy you want your drinks)
- Splash of Gran Marnier
- 1 cup ice
- Combine the water, sugar and mint leaves in a small sauce pan. Place on stove over medium high heat and bring to a rolling boil until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes so the mint can infuse.
- Strain the mint mixture into a pitcher and discard mint leaves. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice and strawberries and blend with an immersion blender. Strain out any pulpy remains.
- Add the Blanco Tequila, splash of Gran Marnier and stir. Add more Gran Marnier to sweeten if desired. Top with ice, lime wedges and serve.
Spring Fling 2011 is a five-week celebration of all things Spring with Margaret from A Way to Garden, Jaden of Steamy Kitchen, and Todd and Diane of White on Rice Couple, Shauna and Danny of Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef, Nicole from Pinch My Salt, some fantastic people from Food Network and Cooking Channel and myself!
Here’s what the rest of the 2011 Spring Fling Schedule looks like:
Weds April 20th: Asparagus
Weds May 4th: Rhubarb
Weds May 18th: Artichokes
Weds June 1st: Strawberries (That’s today!!)
Weds June 15th: Peas
And the best part about Spring Fling is everyone gets to join in, click around and share your tips and recipes for the fabulous spring produce we are featuring!
So here’s how it works:
Go ahead and leave your tips/recipes/and favorite links in the comments below my Spring Fling post! Then click around to the other collaborators and do the same. Share your love for the recipe everywhere that way everyone gets to see it and join in on the conversation!!
Jessica at Food2: Sippin’ on Strawberries
Sarah at FN Dish: Spring Fling: Strawberries
Allison at Cooking Channel: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp