Talk about a showstopper – this Candied Citrus Cake is exactly that! A simple butter cake on the bottom and a crazy gorgeous candied citrus topping; it’s the perfect dessert (or breakfast) for this time of year!
If you had to pick one thing to have stocked in your kitchen at all times, what would it be? For me – it’s citrus!! (and salt)
I don’t remember the last time I made something and didn’t add a bit of lemon juice or orange zest to brighten it up. Now that Meyer lemons are all over the place – they are popping up on my breakfast, lunch and dinner dishes without fail. A few weeks back Sunkist sent me a boat load of citrus, all different varieties from tangerines to blood oranges to Meyer lemons to navels! It looked like spring had exploded into my kitchen and I wish it looked like that at all times. So what’s a girl to do with 10 lbs of citrus? Eat half of it immediately, and then turn the rest of it into a dessert! Duh! It’s a massive dose of vitamin C plus dessert – who’s going to argue with that!
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g white sugar sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 orange, zested
- 6 pieces assorted citrus, tangerines, tangelos, Meyer lemons, etc
- ice water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix on medium high speed for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides in between additions.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the mixer and mix for 30-60 seconds until just combined. Add the almond milk, lemon extract and orange zest and stir to combine.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking spray. Transfer the batter into the pan and transfer to the oven and bake for 37-40 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool before removing from the springform pan.
- Thinly sliced citrus and poke out any seeds. Prepare a medium-size bowl with ice and water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add lemon slices and boil for one minute. remove slices from boiling water and plunge into ice water for a couple of minutes until cool, then drain.
- In a medium-size skillet bring sugar and water to a simmer, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Add citrus slices in a single layer and simmer for about an hour, until rinds are translucent. Remove citrus slices and cool on wire rack. Reserve some of the cooking liquid to drizzle over the cake once done baking.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Sunkist. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!