Bring it on Monday! I’m so ready for you. This week is going to be a bit of a whirlwind for me. I’ve got a quick trip to San Francisco as I wrap up the tail end of my book tour. Then it’s my hubby’s birthday. Later I’m being whisked away to Portland for a quick trip with one of my favorite brands ever (more to come soon – promise). And then I’m back in LA before the weekend starts to finish celebrating the birthday boy and work on my tan.
So like I said, Monday…. bring it.
One thing that always makes my weeks a bit more manageable is when I do a big cook out over the weekend and cook a few extra things so I can whip them into meals come monday.
Corn is one of those things for sure. We threw a few cobs onto the grill over 4th of July weekend and I cut the kernels off the extra cobs and threw them into the fridge until I was ready for them. And who doesn’t love som grilled corn on the cob? Minus the fact that it’s basically the most unflattering food to eat, it’s so good. Just stay away from it on a first date. That could get awkward.
Also, chicken. Gotta have some grilled chicken on hand.
So the next day I whipped up this totally delicious Chicken Corn and Farro Salad. I threw in some homegrown basil (yay for me not killing it yet) a few cherry tomatoes from my local farmers market and a orange vinaigrette to bring everything to life.
We literally devoured this in like 5 minutes. I went so far as to lick my plate clean, it was just that good.
Also – a few little housekeeping things in case ya missed them over the weekend
If you haven’t heard by now, google reader went bye bye. But not to fear, there are a few options to help you make the switch if you haven’t already:
Also, we’ve got a shiny new email feed and newsletter here on What’s Gaby Cooking! You can just subscribe in the top right corner in that big blue box. Plus, if you subscribe by email, you’ll get a few extra surprises on a monthly basis. Things that will make ya smile. Pinkie promise.
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 chicken breast, grilled
- 2 pieces corn on the cob, grilled
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 3 tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (from Trader Joes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the farro according to the package directions. Once cooked, rinse and set aside.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and toss them into the farro. Dice the chicken into bite sized pieces and fold that into the farro mixture as well.
- Carefully cut the corn off of the cob and fold the corn into the farro, followed by the freshly cut basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar and olive oil with the garlic and season it with salt and pepper as needed. Pour the dressing over the farro mixture and toss well to combine. Taste and season as needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!