I’m a huge fan of sauces. Like, for reals. I’ll slather it over just about anything. Pesto is for sure one of my typical favorites, but this Romesco sauce is my latest obsession.
I like to add it in my pasta or quinoa, pour some over my proteins, or incorporate it into a salad. It gives your meal that extra zip!
This past week, I whipped up some chicken kebabs, quinoa and threw the romesco sauce over all of it. It was glorious. I had picked up a boat load of heirloom cherry tomatoes from my farmers market and once I decided that I couldn’t just eat them all with a fork and a bowl of burrata, I decided to turn them into something healthy that worked with my “less than 24 days to the wedding” healthy eating plan.
The results were fab. Thomas loved it! I loved it! And it was super easy – which is something that I’m all about right now since it seems like wedding planning has taken over my life and there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done
- 4 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into long strips
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups day old small pieces of torn crustless ciabatta bread
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the peppers skin side down on the baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- To make the toasted breadcrumbs, place the torn bread into a food processor and whirl for 1-2 minutes until completely broken down. Transfer the breadcrumbs into a large skillet and place over medium heat. Drizzle the bread crumbs with the remaining olive oil and saute until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer the bread crumbs back into the food processor, along with the chopped chives, basil and garlic and pulse for 1-2 minutes until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Top the roasted peppers with the herbed bread crumbs and serve immediately.
And be sure to check out all the other Summer Fest links! We’ve got tomatoes all over the place
Cooking With Elise: Fresh Tomato Sauce
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Tomato Gazpacho Salsa
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Tomato Cobbler Anyone?
Virtually Homemade: Spaghetti With Tomatoes, Prosciutto and Fresh Corn
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Salmon Spaghetti With Plum Tomatoes and Avocado
Feed Me Phoebe: Roasted Fresh Tomato Puttanesca Sauce
Chez Us: Easy Tomato Tart
Made By Michelle: Tomato and Pesto Pizza
Ingredients, Inc.: Lighter Fried Green Tomatoes
Delicious Lean: Creamy Light Tuna Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
Daily*Dishin: Spicy Tomato-Tomatillo Chicken Tenders
From My Corner of Saratoga: Tomato Jam
Dishin & Dishes: Tomato Zucchini Frittata
And Love It Too: Roasted Garlic, Basil and Tomato Paleo Tart
Healthy Eats: The Fresh-for-Once Tomato
Sweet Life Bake: Pico de Gallo
Zaika Zabardast: Grilled Tofu and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sandwich
Thursday Night Dinner: Tomato and Watermelon Salad
Cooking Channel: How to Prepare Summer Tomatoes
FN Dish: Tomatoes Go Beyond Salads