I’m gearing up for a ton of Greece inspired recipes here on WGC and first up… Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Mint Sauce (and some tzatziki on the side because duh!)
The food in Greece is exactly my style. It’s simple but flavorful, nothing is overly complicated, the sauces and dips are everything and it’s mostly healthy. Sums up the recipes here on What’s Gaby Cooking am I right? There was tons of fresh fish, octopus, tzatziki and souvlaki. I was in heaven. I’ve been a recipe that is very similar to souvlaki here, but today it’s a new rendition with this cilantro mint sauce that screams summer.
The chicken is marinated in a greek yogurt mixture that you could probably whip up right this second – it’s super easy ingredients that are most likely already in your fridge and then grilled until just slightly charred on the outside. Dunk it in the cilantro mint sauce and/or the tzatziki! I’m all about the sauce, so the more dips the better! You could eat these as is at that point, or wrap them up in a pita wrap and squeeze a little lemon or lime juice on top and call it a day.
Whip them up this week and I promise they’ll be in regular rotation forever and ever!
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts - cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher alt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Pita wedges (optional)
- Tzatziki (optional)
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vegetable oil, plain yogurt, garlic, tomato paste, salt, oregano, paprika, pepper and allspice in a large bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. Transfer the chicken mixture into a large plastic bag; refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread the chicken onto metal or wooden skewers. Cook on preheated grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes each side.
- Combine the ingredients for the mint cilantro sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the cilantro and mint sauce and pita and a raita
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!