The Yule Log is one of those desserts that always impresses your family and guests and you know what – it’s actually quite simple to make! You make a quick sponge cake, throw some of your favorite filling in there and roll it up. Slather that puppy with a heaping dose of chocolate icing and call it a day! You can take some short cuts and use store bought frosting – or you can make your own. Either way, this is going to be one show stopping dessert at your Christmas dinner!
Check out my Good Bite video that makes making a Chocolate Yule Log totally doable!
- 5 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large containers Store Bought Chocolate Frosting
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar until mixture is thick and light-colored. Add flour and cocoa powder, beating on low speed. Fold into egg white mixture until no streaks of white remain.
- Grease a large baking pan; line with parchment paper, and grease and flour paper again. Pour batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Let cool, remove cake from baking pan and set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream and vanilla extra in a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over cake; roll up, jellyroll style, starting from one short end.
- Cut off the 2 ends and set aside, these will be used later for decoration
- Spread frosting over the entire cake. Add the ends to the cake to add height. Frost these additions until covered. Use a fork to create a bark-like effect. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!