First I want to congratule Elissa Marcuson for winning the Picky Palate cookbook giveaway from 2 weeks ago! Send me an email at whatsgabycooking (at) gmail (dot) com and I’ll make sure the book gets delivered to your front door
It happened. It was inevitable. We all knew it was coming. And it’s here.
The Christmas baking extravaganza has begun. I’ve stocked up on pounds and pounds of butter, flour, white and brown sugar and chocolates. And it’s time to get down to business. We’ve got kitchens to destroy, dishes to dirty, and sweet teeth to satisfy.
Have you ever had Christmas Crack? Wait, back up. Have you even heard of Christmas Crack? I hadn’t heard of it till last week but apparently I’ve been eating it my whole life! I used to called it mix – but Christmas Crack is a way better name right? Big thanks to Bakerella for clueing me into the fab name. I’m also calling it Reindeer Chow. Because it’s basically the easiest thing in the world to chow down on.
It’s basically the most addictive sweet snack on the face of the earth. A combination of cherrios, rice chex, wheat chex, pretzel sticks, M&M’s and white chocolate makes this basically the best thing on earth. My mom’s been making this mix for us for ages, especially during the holiday season because it’s just so gorgeous and festive. I like to make big batches of this and pack it up so I can give it out as gifts around this time of year! Also – FYI – it keeps super well in the freezer. And it’s basically the best feeling ever when I can reach into the freezer and pull out a handful at a moments notice. Ummm yes please. It’s the best thing ever.
And speaking of packing things up in jars – have you seen Shaina’s Desserts in Jars 50 Sweet Treats that Shine cookbook?
It’s gorgeous for starters. And it’s packed with tons of great recipes like Dark Chocolate Hazlenut Pot de Cremes, Cardamom Pear Crisps and Peach-Raspberry Verrines with Lemon-Thyme Cream – they all sound delish don’t they!! It’s pretty much the perfect holiday gift for anyone that loves to be in the kitchen! Today I’m giving away 1 copy for a lucky winner!! And I’ll pick the winner by this Friday evening so we can make sure that it get delivered to your door before the holiday madness is in full force! Just leave a comment below to enter and tell me what your favorite holiday sweet treat is and you’re entered!! Check back Monday am for the winner and it could just be you!!
And once you’ve entered, make to to make some Christmas Crack. It’s gonna change your life.
- 3 cups Cheerios
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 1 cups Pretzel Sticks
- 2-3 cups m&m’s
- 24 oz White Chocolate (plus an extra 4-8 oz if needed)
- In a large bowl (or wok, or giant tupperware or punch bowl) combine the Cheerios, Chex, Pretzels and m&m’s. Mix them up a bit, making sure that everything is evenly distributed.
- Meanwhile, over a double boiler, melt the white chocolate according to the directions on the package.
- Once the chocolate has melted and is a smooth consistency, drizzle the chocolate over the cereal mix and combine with a wooden spoon. Make sure all the cereal is covered in chocolate. If you need to melt the extra white chocolate to cover all the mix then go right on ahead!
- Once the entire batch has been combined, lay it out to dry on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper. Let dry for 4 hours so the chocolate is cooled and hard. Break it into pieces and store in zip top bags or package it up into jars to give out as gifts.