Alright. Show of hands. Who has cooked white rice in coconut milk?
No? Yes? Sound intriguing? It’s like my new favorite thing in the world. Right after guacamole and champagne of course.
In fact, I don’t just use coconut milk. I also throw in some lime zest, lime juice, chopped cilantro and a touch of salt. It’s bananas.
So good that I’m going to attempt it with quinoa next and see how it goes.
Ok so imagine a bowl filled with coconut rice and then topped with coconut curried glazed shrimp that have been sauteed in bunch of garlic, ginger and scallions. Ummm yes please. This Coconut Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice is like my dream meal. It’s packed with flavor. Super delicious and it’s pretty light too, seeing as how I’m still keeping things light around here for the month of January.
Well… doesn’t that sound good? It’s a quick weeknight meal that you can scale up or down depending on how many people you’re planning on feeding. It’s kinda a crowd pleaser if you ask me. And it’s another dish that won’t take you too much time in the kitchen because I know you have more important things to go do, like watch the latest episodes of Scandal, Shameless, Revenge, Downton Abbey and House of Lies, right? No? You’re not a professional TV watcher like me? I don’t believe you. Especially when it comes to those shows! Can we just discuss how many amazing shows are on this coming Sunday? I’m going to have to stay up waaaay past my bedtime just so I can squeeze them all in before Monday. Because, I absolutely, under no circumstances, can go to bed without watching all of them. Why? Because what if I wake up in the morning, sign onto twitter or eonline.com or something like that and there’s a spoiler! GASP. I would be devastated. But then again, I have major issues.
So I’m just going to go on my merry way and make some more Coconut Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice. It’s the right thing to do.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups coconut milk, divided
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tsp spicy curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- kosher salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- Make sure the shrimp and cleaned and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place 1 tbsp of butter in a medium pot. Add the white rice and saute for about 1 minute, just to toast the rice. Add the water and 1 cup of the coconut milk and turn heat to medium. Cook the rice until all the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and let cool for a few minutes before adding the cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and salt. Toss to combine and set the rice aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining cup of coconut milk and the curry powder and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter over medium high heat. Add the scallions, garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until pink. Add the curried coconut milk and let the shrimp finish cooking for about 1-2 more minutes while the coconut milk slightly reduced. Remove the shrimp from the heat and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if needed, or you can add more chili flakes if you want more heat.
- Serve a few pieces of the shrimp over a spoonful of rice immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!