Crab and Garden Vegetable Salad with Tomatillo Avocado Dressing
I spend about every Sunday morning the same way… I wake up… go for a quick run… and then head off to my favorite place in L.A…. the Brentwood Farmers Market! On average, I spend about 2 hours walking up and down the street lined with my most favorite vendors in the whole world. I prefer to go by myself because no one else seems to be able to casually walk around for 2 hours looking at fruits and vegetables without getting bored. I stock up on everything that it is season and can’t leave without grabbing a big cup of agua fresca and samples at every stand along the way!
Nothing is better than coming home with pounds of fresh produce and making a salad with everything you have just purchased. That is exactly what I did yesterday.
I wanted to make a fresh and festive salad to celebrate Cinco de Mayo a few days early! And what better way with a ton of great vegetables, some lump crab meat and the most delicious Avocado and Tomatillo Dressing ever!
Crab and Garden Vegetable Salad
- 2 handfuls fresh greens
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lump crab meat
- 3 tbsp Avocado Tomatillo Dressing (Recipe Below)
- Combine the greens, chopped avocado, bell peppers, radishes and crab meat into a large bowl. Drizzle the Avocado Tomatillo Dressing on top, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tomatillo Avocado Dressing
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed
- 1 small Spanish onion, quartered
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2 lime, juice
- Kosher salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not burst. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Add the cooked vegetables to a food processor with the cilantro leaves, avocados and lime juice. *Pour in 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and process to a coarse puree – be careful when you process the hot liquid as it will expand – so make sure you hold the lid down firmly. Taste and adjust seasoning with more cilantro, lime juice, or salt according to preference.
Tags: Avocado, Crab, Farmers Market Salad, Radish, Salad, Tomatillo Avocado Dressing