Creamy Buttered Leeks with Farro and Burrata.
Seriously. You guys. I just died. I have literally eaten this for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the past 3 days. I can’t be stopped.
Let me tell you a story. I was strolling around the farmers market a few days ago, and bought like seriously 10 leeks. What on earth was I planning on doing with all of them, I don’t know. But I knew I needed some leeks in my life. Post farmers market, I swung by my fav Italian deli to pick up from freshly made burrata. And then I went home and decided that I was starving and needed to eat immediately. So I made avocado toast. Go figure. And about 10 seconds after I demolished my avocado toast, I decided I needed to make some seriously good leeks mixed with farro, topped with parmesan cheese and stirred together with some burrata. So I did. And then I made it again the next day. And the next. And now I’m sharing the recipe here because it’s so freaking good.
It might not be the prettiest picture of all times – but trust me when I say that you have to make this. It’s so freaking good.
The leeks are sautéed in a combination of olive oil and butter. Because that’s the right thing to do.
The farro is cooked just perfectly so it still has just a bit of a bite.
The parmesan adds a nice nutty and saltiness to the dish.
And the burrata. I mean what is there to even say about burrata. It’s the best cheese on the face of the earth and I wish I had access to freshly made burrata at all times. Morning, noon and night. It’s just that good. (and if you can’t find burrata – feel free to substitute freshly made mozzarella!!)
- 1 cup farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 leeks, cut in half lengthwise, cleaned of dirt, and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, cleaned of dirt, and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces burrata cheese
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper as needed
- Cook the farro in water according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain and reserve the grains.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Add the leeks and scallions and saute for about 12-14 minutes until the leeks are soft. Add the garlic at the last minute and cook for 1 minute more. Then turn off the heat.
- Add the farro to the cooked leek and scallion mixture and stir to combine. Add the parmesan and combine.
- Stir in the burrata cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve as needed.