There really isn’t a day that goes by without me craving some form of a potato. These days, I’m all about the Crispy Potato Latkes which is fitting as Hanukkah stars this week!
Can someone confirm that I’m not alone in my potato addiction? It really comes out to shine when it’s cold out because I can’t think of anything I’d enjoy more than roasted potatoes, french fries, baked wedge fries with bacon or latkes! Basically anything that is starchy, crispy and warm. The best!!
Latkes are my latest obsession and my box grater has been getting a work-out as I grate potatoes on a daily basis. I dipped these into a chive infused sour cream – but I’ve been getting crafty and dipping them in guacamole (duh), ketchup (why not!) and this crazy delicious red pepper sauce that I use on pasta most of the time. Any way you serve it – you can’t go wrong!
- 1 yellow onion, peeled
- 3 ½ lbs medium Bella Blanca Potatoes, peeled (or yukon golds)
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Vegetable or Grapeseed oil
- Sour cream
- Using a box grater or food processor fitted with grating disc, coarsely grate the onion and place in mesh strainer to remove excess moisture. Grate the potatoes and add to the strainer. Push out any excess moisture and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, then whisk in flour.
- Add the potatoes and onions to egg/flour mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using wooden spoon or hands, mix well, but do not overwork.
- In heavy-bottomed, 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter until hot but not smoking. Drop 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form 3-inch pancakes.
- Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes, then turn over and fry until golden-brown and crisp, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season immediately with salt and pepper. Keep warm on baking sheets in oven while cooking the remaining pancakes. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter and fry 4 more pancakes. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping out pan and adding 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter before each batch. Serve with sour cream/chives.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!