I am a cucumber kind of kid. When we were little, my mom would make us this thing we called cucumber salad every night for dinner. And I’m talking every night. Without fail. If for some reason she forgot to make it, or didn’t have the ingredients, my sister and I would pout and beg her to run to the store quickly so she would whip it up.
It was a perfect side dish with just about everything because it was cool (and its like 1 billion degrees in Arizona) and there were avocados and really, what more could one ask for?
It’s safe to say that I’m a cucumber kid through and through. It runs in my veins. And so we’ve taken the tradition on with us and my sister and I still whip up cucumber salads to this day. And when we go home, you can bet that my mom still makes us our favorite cucumber salad. Only now, it has extra avocado due to my obsession.
Today I whipped up a super refreshing and flavorful salad for you guys! Why? Well, clearly it’s because I love you. And also because it’s the start of Summer Fest!! Basically once a week, a bunch of food bloggin’ friends and I whip up a recipe with a certain ingredient that we’re featuring. The fab folks over at Food Network dreamt up this spectacular idea, and I’m hooked. What better what to get tons of fun and delicious recipes featuring some of summer’s freshest ingredients!
So today’s all about cucumbers, in case you couldn’t tell
I threw together this cucumber salad for a dinner party a few weeks ago and fell in love. It’s a combination of persian cucumbers, mint, chives, avocado, toasted pita and a basil vinaigrette. Boom. Yes please.
- 1 whole wheat pita - cut into 1 inch squares
- 3 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/3 inch half moons
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/3 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1/3 cups crumbed Parmesan cheese
- 1 avocado, removed from skin and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cut pita onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place into the oven. Let the pita toast for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the toasted pita, cucumbers, celery, chives, parmesan, mint and avocado.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Here’s a round up of other fab cucumber recipes from this week’s Summer Fest
The Sensitive Epicure: Chinese Style Cucumbers
Ingredients, Inc.: Easiest Cucumber Salad
Virtually Homemade: Cucumber Strawberry Cooler
From My Corner of Saratoga: Marinated Cucumber Salad
The Cultural Dish: Pasta With Roasted Shrimp and Cucumbers
Daily*Dishin: Southern Benedictine – Creamy Cucumber Spread
Delicious Lean: Cucumber Jicama Salad
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cucumber and Avocado Open-Face Sandwiches
And Love It, Too: Fermented Spicy Garlic-Dill Cukes and Zukes
FN Dish: No-Cook Cucumber Recipes
Cooking With Elise: Wedge Salad With Cucumber-Ranch Dressing