What are drunk lentils you ask? They are basically the best lentils out there. Tipsy Lentils with Crème Fraiche and Arugula are the perfect light vegetarian meal.
It all starts with onions and garlic, like most great things, those are key to making a dish with lots of depth and flavor. After you’ve sautéed those, you’re going to add in some fresh thyme and then some cooked lentils. Lentils really don’t have a strong flavor profile, so it’s fun to jazz them up a bit with this recipe.
I like to let the lentils, thyme and aromatics hang out for a bit before adding a glug or two of The Naked Grape’s Harvest Red Blend. Once that is added, I let it absorb into the lentils and really give them some amazing flavor. The Naked Grape’s Harvest Red Blend has hints of raspberries and red plum, which brighten up this dish and give it the depth of flavor I was talking about earlier!
Once the wine has been absorbed and distributed it’s fantastic flavor to the lentils, I stir in a few tablespoons of crème Fraiche which is basically just a little bit of fancy soured cream that won’t curdle against the heat. It has an amazing way of bringing the right amount of creaminess to any dish and it works perfectly on the tipsy lentils. Once that’s been incorporated, I add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to brighten things up and then serve it over a bed of fresh arugula. It’s bright, cheerful and tipsy! What’s not to love about this!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, small leaves removed and the stem discarded
- 1/2 cup The Naked Grape Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 tablespoons crème Fraiche (or goat cheese if you prefer a tangier finish)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups packed greens of your choice, such as arugula
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, cook the lentils according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain off any excess water and set the lentils aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and sauté for 1 minute more until just fragrant.
- Add the thyme leaves and the cooked lentils to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour in The Naked Grape Cabernet Sauvignon and let the wine cook for about 5 minutes until almost all of the wine is absorbed into the lentils. Turn the heat off, and stir in the crème Fraiche or goat cheese and fresh lemon juice. Season the dish with salt and pepper as needed. Let the lentils cool for about 15 minutes.
- Arrange the arugula on a large serving platter. Transfer the lentils on top of the arugula and gently toss to combine. Serve as needed.
Also…. Pinterest just got a whole lot more exciting – I didn’t even know that was possible because I’m already so obsessed – but check this out! You can now see all the ingredients on the actual recipe pin So you’re basically getting all this extra great info delivered right to your computer screen!! yay.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!