After gallivanting around the country for the majority of June, I’ve decided that it’s time to get back to some healthy eating habits and enjoy all of the great produce that is available during the summer. Now don’t get me wrong, I love eating out at fabulous restaurants, but sometimes a girl just needs some home cooked meals! So to kick off this spurt of healthy eating, I made a Fatoush Salad. Have you ever heard or had a Fatoush. It’s kinda my new favorite word?
While were were in Marfa, TX a few weeks ago, we stopped by a food truck that made some of the most amazing Mediterranean food ever. The stand out favorite from that day was definitely the Fatoush Salad. It’s pretty much a Lebanese chopped salad and loaded with romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, red onions, mint, feta cheese, toasted pita chips and it’s traditionally served with tahini and a drizzle of yogurt on top. For my Fatoush, I opted for a dollop of homemade garlic hummus rather than the tahini sauce because well, I really like hummus.
Once everything is piled high into a bowl, it gets a lemon-sumac dressing, a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper and then it’s ready to go.
The stand out part of this salad is the mint. I don’t know about you, but typically i don’t add mint to my salads – but this addition was a welcomed change and really made the salad pop!
- 1 whole wheat pita pocket, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 4 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus 1 tbsp
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 tsp Sumac
- Dollop of Garlic Hummus
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combined the chopped pita with the paprika and 1 tbsp olive oil on a small baking sheet. Place into the oven and toast for 10-15 minutes until the pita is crisp. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large bowl toss together the lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, mint, red onion and feta.
- In another smaller bowl, combine the salt, pepper, remaining olive oil, lemon juice and sumac and whisk into a dressing.
- Combine the dressing with the salad and gently combine until lightly dressed. Divide and serve with a dollop of hummus and more freshly cracked pepper if needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!