French Fries. Guacamole. Pico. Cheese. Sour Cream. I mean, what more could you ask for on a MONDAY?! Fiesta Fries. Because we’re getting ready for some serious Cinco de Mayo celebration and Fiesta Fries are an obvious addition to the fiesta.
I’m down with any excuse to eat french fries. I’m also suuuuuper down with Cinco de Mayo. I’ll be celebrating in full force next weekend because it’s my favorite food holiday all year. It even beats Thanksgiving – which, as a food blogger, is almost sacrilegious to say! But you’ll forgive me right? Let’s still be friends.
I’ll win you back with these Fiesta Fries. Twice fried french fries topped with a classic guacamole, plenty of pico and a drizzle of sour cream or crema. Serve it up on a baking sheet or in a skillet and throw yourself a little fiesta. Also, make a margarita or two. It’s the right thing to do.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch french fry shapes stripes
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Garlic salt
- 1 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- sour cream as needed
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- Place the potatoes and vinegar in large heavy bottom pot and add 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring the water a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes until the potatoes are fully tender, but not falling apart.
- Drain and spread on paper towel-lined rimmed baking sheet. Allow to dry for five minutes.
- Place the oil in a large Dutch oven. Heat over high heat to 400°F.
- Add the fries in small batches to oil. Cook for 50-60 seconds, agitating occasionally with tongs, then remove to second paper-towel lined baking sheet.
- Repeat this process with the remaining potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once the fries have cooled, bring the oil back to a 400°F over medium high heat.
- Fry small batches of the potatoes a second time until crisp and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once golden, remove the fries with a pair of tongs and transfer to a fresh paper towel lined baking sheet and season with salt and garlic salt.
- Top with shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo. Serve immediately.
Tags: cinco de mayo fries, cinco de mayo recipes, fiesta fries, fiesta fries recipes, garlic french fries, homemade french fries, homemade french fries recipe, mexican french fries, mexican potato recipe, skinny french fries