If you’ve never had Halloumi, your life is about to change. Fried Halloumi Tacos are the name of the game this spring.
Halloumi is an unripened brined cheese that has a super high melting point which means it can be PAN FRIED. Brilliance. Between me and Matt and Adam, we decided that we love halloumi more than life itself. It’s THAT good.
And when you put it on top of charred corn guacamole it’s like the pop for texture from the corn with the squeaky cheese and the smooth avocado. It’s perfection as far as vegetarian tacos go!
These are the name of the game this time of year as we wait for spring to roll in and for taco season to go full steam ahead!
- 8-10 ounces Halloumi cheese
- Olive oil for frying
- Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes for seasoning
- 8 small flour or soft corn tortillas
- 1 recipe Charred Corn Guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Lemon or lime wedges for serving
- Drain the halloumi and cut it into cubes or strips. Pat the cubes very dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the halloumi and cook for a few minutes without stirring, until the bottoms are well-browned. Turn the halloumi cubes with a pair of tongs, and brown them on the other sides.
- Transfer the fried cheese to a bowl and season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Heat each tortilla over an open flame until pliable.
- Line half of each tortilla with guacamole. Top with fried halloumi. Sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with lemon and lime wedges.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!