German Potato Salad is in my blood! It runs through my veins – and it’s EVERYTHING you need for summer cook-outs this year!
Can I make a confession? Creamy potato salad makes me cringe. It’s not my jam. Actually most creamy salads scare me. Chicken salad. Egg salad… no thanks! You’ll never see them here on What’s Gaby Cooking because I can’t!!! They go right up there with my fear of heights!! Eeeeeek. But give me something with a light vinaigrette and a ton of fresh herbs and I’m game! It’s the California girl inside me coming out to shine.
This german potato salad is the ultimate potato salad. Use it as a side dish alongside some grilled steak or chicken and it’s a winner!
- 3 pounds new potatoes, medium to small dice
- 8 ounces applewood smoked bacon
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chives, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and remove from heat, drain and set aside in a bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside. Once cooled, break the bacon into pieces
- Add the diced onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Carefully add the vinegar and mustard to the onions and cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Whisk in the oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the bacon, green onions and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!