Would it be wrong to officially start grilling season today and just keep it up for the foreseeable future? I hope not – because I’m really into it! Grilling just makes everything better and these Grilled Baby Artichokes are quite perfect!
After a weekend of eating my heart out of some of my favorite foods in Arizona, I think it’s time for some serious vegetable based eating. And these Grilled Baby Artichokes are going to be making repeat appearances for the next week. After cleaning, trimming and blanching the artichokes, they get transferred onto a hot grill for a quick sear and an even deeper flavor! I’m serving them up with a garlic and thyme infused olive oil and going to town!
Also – since these are baby artichokes, you get to avoid that tedious prep work of removing the choke from the inside of the artichoke. Which, for slightly lazy people like me is a major win!
You can serve these up as a side dish for an al fresco dinner or even as an appetizer! Or if you’re anything like me you’ll make them at just about any time of day and snack on them as you please!
- 2 lemons, halved
- 15 baby artichokes
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 springs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 of the lemon into bowl of water.
- Clean and trim the baby artichokes by snapping off the dark-green outer leaves of the artichoke until only the pale, tender inner leaves remain. Trim about 1/4 inch off of the top of the artichoke, removing any sharp tips. Trim the end of the artichoke and then slice it in half. Drop the prepped artichoke in the lemon water and repeat the process for the remaining baby artichokes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the artichokes and boil until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain them from the water and pat dry.
- Prepare your indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat. Mix the oil, garlic, juice of 1 lemon and thyme in small bowl. Brush the artichokes with the mixture and transfer to the grill. Grill until tender and charred in spots, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Transfer artichokes to platter. Pour the remaining oil mixture into small bowl and serve alongside for dipping
Tags: baby artichoke recipes, baby artichokes, easy artichoke, grilled artichokes, Grilled Baby Artichokes, how to grill artichokes