Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
Will you guys still be my friend if I just decide that we should all eat grilled pizza for the rest of the summer?
More specifically, this Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza. Please say yes.
Throwing some pizza dough on the grill and letting it cook is basically my new favorite pastime. I love it even more than I love watching The Housewives and that’s a whole lotta love right there.
Grilled pizza, whatever you want to call it, is 100 times better than pizza in your oven. The only thing that could potentially top pizza on the grill, is pizza in a wood burning oven. And until I get myself a wood burning oven, I’m sticking to grilled pizza. (And if any of you out there have a wood burning oven, feel free to invite me over. I promise to bring refreshments and the pizza dough.)
Basically it’s really simple. You just have to roll out your dough and then give it a little paint job with some olive oil. Then you gently transfer it onto the piping hot BBQ and let it cook for just a few moments on each side until there are some sexy and sassy grill marks. Then you can take it off, top it with whatever you want, and throw it back on for a hot second to melt the cheese.
Boom. Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
I made my first grilled pizza of the summer and loaded it up with all the accoutrements of a Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad but instead turned it into Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza. My only regret is inviting people over to share it with us because it meant no leftovers for me the next day. #majorfail
Next time I’ll just hoard the pizza by myself. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll even invite my husband.
There’s plenty more Grilled Pizzas to come this season. In fact, I might even teach myself to fire up the grill by myself so I can make them while I’m home alone. I still have a fear of blowing my eyebrows off if I start the grill on my own.
Shall we get down to business and make this thang . I think so. Let’s do this.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- olive oil for brushing
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup roasted corn, cut off the cob
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- small handful of cilantro
- small handful of chopped green onions
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of olive oil.
- Prepare all the toppings for the pizza and set time aside.
- Shape the dough into a large pizza pie shape while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it's as big as you'd like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless cookie sheet, or pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tong, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides. Once the dough is cooked, remove it from the grill back onto the cookie sheet.
- Spread the BBQ sauce on the pizza dough and then top it with the cheddar, chicken corn, and red onion. Slide the pizza back onto the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes with the lid closed until the cheese has melted.
- Using tongs, remove the pizza from the grill and top with the cherry tomatoes, cilantro and scallions. Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve.