It’s about that time – time for another bowl that doubles as lunch or dinner or perhaps even breakfast if you prefer savory food like me! Meet the Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowl with cilantro vinaigrette and tons of grilled veggies.
I’ll never say no to a burrito. I like them stuffed full of all the good things and I like them the size of my head. I also like them in bowls sans tortilla. I figure if I’m going to eat 129308 pounds of chips, then I can forgo the tortilla and opt for a burrito bowl! Am I right? I think so!
This Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowl has all the good things. Perfectly marinated and grilled chicken. Cilantro Rice like the kind they have at chipotle but homemade because duh! Have you met us, we’re awesome. And then it’s topped with all the mandatory things… Avocado, Cheese, Cilantro Vinaigrette and some grilled veggies because why not! Like I said, it works for lunch, dinner, and perhaps even breakfast. I’ve never been one to turn down anything with cheese and avocado!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced into strips and grilled
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced into strips and grilled
- 1 Zucchini, sliced into half moons and grilled
- Freshly shredded Monterey Jack
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces and use as needed.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the white rice and lime juice and sauté for 60 seconds to toast the rice. Add the water and bring the rice to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
- Arrange equal parts of the white rice and chopped grilled chicken in 4 bowls. Top with equal parts of the Sliced Avocado, grilled bell peppers, grilled zucchini, Monterey jack cheese and serve alongside the cilantro vinaigrette.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!