Guacamole stuffed between 2 buttered pieces of bread and obscene amounts of colby jack cheese and then grilled for a few hot seconds on each until the cheese is melted and gooey is my idea of heaven. Guacamole Grilled Cheese is also my ideal hangover breakfast.
This weekend was a total whirlwind for me. I picked up early Friday morning and headed across the country to DC. Once there, I met up with my 9 other travel companions (and soon to be besties) and hopped a plane for Ethiopia! 12.5 hours later (and not a wink of sleep for me) we were finally in Africa on what was then Sunday morning. Exhausted and 100% delirious, we were finally here and ready to explore! We hit the town running so we basically pulled an all night and stayed up for something like 38 hours straight. How I’m even standing right now is a complete mystery to me. My guess it has something to do with the macchiato with a billion pounds of sugar that I drank a few hours back. Just a guess.
I’m beyond excited to be in Africa, soaking up as much as I can while here. One of my favorite things about traveling is being able to experience the food cultures in new countries and seeing the people that make the food. I’ll have some reports of Ethiopia in the next few days… but check out instagram for some updates in the meantime.
While I’m crazy excited to dive head first into the food culture here in Ethiopia, I’m also a sucker for a childhood favorite cranked up a few notches. There’s nothing like a Grilled Cheese that takes me back to being little again and living at home with my parents. There’s something so comforting and delicious about a perfectly cooked grilled cheese with extra cheese and then sliced at an angle down the middle. God forbid it should be sliced in half straight down the center and not at an angle. That would render the grilled cheese inedible.
Guacamole Grilled Cheese was just a natural grilled cheese progression when it first happened in college. I’ve been whipping them up ever since and can/will never get enough. It’s messy. It’s cheesy. It’s the perfect quick and easy dinner. Depending on my mood and what’s in my fridge, I’ll spice things up with a batch of chipotle guacamole in my grilled cheese, or I’ll stick to one of my original recipes. Either way, they make me insanely happy.
Happy Monday folks!
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices colby jack cheese
- Using 1 tablespoon of butter, butter one side of each piece of bread. Place the buttered sides of the bread on a clean working surface and top on on the pieces of bread with the sliced cheese. Place a large spoonful of guacamole on top of the cheese and then add the other piece of bread on top of the guacamole, buttered side facing up.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat with the remaining butter. Carefully place the sandwich into the melted butter and let the bread sizzle and toast for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the grilled cheese from the skillet and slice in half before serving!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!