I’m not quite sure what’s more important today… this Ham and Cheese Pasta recipe or talking about Game of Thrones.
Both of which had a seriously large impact on my weekend! And since writing about TV isn’t really my area of specialty… let’s just say that Game of Thrones was everything I wanted it to be an more. And it’s 100% my favorite show on TV right now!
Okay – so back to food! My mom used to make Schinken Nudel for us when we were kids on the REGULAR! It’s a Bavarian ham and cheese pasta situation that made me beyond happy. Not to mention I always added an extra giant handful of cheese to my plate and called it a day. After having a mega craving for that, I whipped up my own version (slightly more decadent with the cheese sauce) that’s fit for an Easter celebration. Because really, I have a one-track mind, and Easter brunch is taking a leading role right now! So without further ado… I give you my Ham and Cheese Pasta complete with chunks of pancetta, 2 kinds of cheese, and some peas and green onions for a pop of color!
Ham and Cheese Skillet Pasta
- 2 cups dried pasta
- 10 ounces pancetta, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then drain, rinse and set it aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped pancetta and sauté for 3-4 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the pancetta has reduced in size and is golden brown on all sides. Add the green onions and sauté for 1 minute more. Remove the pancetta and green onions to a bowl and carefully discard any excess fat inside the skillet.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet. Stir in the flour and whisk until combined. Gradually whisk in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the sauce to a simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the pancetta, green onions, cheese and frozen peas then season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to combine until the cheese is fully melted. Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve the pasta straight out of the skillet as needed.
Tags: easter pasta bake, easy ham and cheese pasta, Ham and cheese pasta, ham and cheese pasta bake, ham and cheese pasta recipe, Ham and Cheese Skillet Pasta, ham pasta bake, Schinkennudeln