I have always been obsessed with Gnocchi! If it is on the menu at a restaurant its almost a guarantee that I will order it. These bite sized morsels of goodness are just too good to pass up and tonight I made homemade spinach and ricotta gnocchi. They were great! The recipe is pretty straight forward and if you have never made gnocchi from scratch don’t stress – it is simple!
- 5 oz of spinach
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 lbs of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 28 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic - minced
- In a medium saucepan filled with heated water, add the spinach and cook until tender, for about 2 minutes. Drain the spinach (I used my potato ricer and it was amazing) In a large food processor add the drained spinach, egg, salt, and half of the ricotta cheese. Pulse until blended and then transfer into a large bowl. Then add the remaining ricotta and Parmesan cheese. Add the flour in batches and start to mix by hand until you have a dough like consistency. Place this into the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Once you take it out of the fridge, divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll each part out into a long tube-like shape.Cut the roll into 1 inch pieces.
- You can add little lines if you want with a fork but its not necessary. Then in a large pot of boiling water drop the gnocchi in one by one, and only adding about 6-8 at a time. As the gnocchi cooks it will rise to the top of the pot and then you can remove it with a slotted spoon. Repeat this until all the gnocchi has cooked.
- In another large skillet add the olive oil and garlic for the sauce. Let the flavors saute for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes. Combine this with the gnocchi and a little extra Parmesan cheese.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!