Schools out for the summer and that means Huevos Rancheros. Don’t ask me where I come up with my logic, but it makes sense. Huevos Rancheros are a great way to enjoy a leisurely morning with friends and family. Plus this recipe is perfection!
If you’ve got 30 minutes, then Huevos Rancheros might just be your new most favorite way to start the day. Freshly fried tortillas topped with homemade chipotle salsa, a perfect fried egg, some creamy avocado, and queso fresco to boot? Yes, please! I’ll take seconds, and thirds. These are my go-to when I’ve got a bit of time and a lazy morning to enjoy!
For the Chipotle Salsa/Sauce
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of the liquid from the can
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño, split in half and seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Tortillas and Other Toppings
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 14-ounce can of warm refried beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1/2 cup grated queso fresco
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Chipotle Salsa/Sauce
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chipotle peppers and their liquid, lime juice, jalapeño, garlic, salt, and pepper to a food processor bowl. Pulse for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth. Adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Transfer the salsa to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the corn tortillas, 2 at a time, and fry for 60 to 90 seconds on each side until golden brown and crisp. Remove the tortillas from the oil and transfer to a paper–towel lined plate to dry. Repeat this process for the remaining tortillas.
- Smear 1/4 cup of the warmed refried beans onto each tortilla and add 1/4 cup of the chipotle salsa.
- Once the tortillas have been fried, drain the oil from the skillet and put the butter into the skillet to melt. Carefully crack 3 eggs in the skillet, evenly spaced so they have room to cook, and cook until the egg white is solid, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the fried eggs from the skillet and lay each one onto a tortilla. Repeat this process for the remaining 3 eggs.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado on a cutting board. Cut 6 thin slices from each half of the avocado and transfer 2 slices on top of each fried egg.
- Sprinkle the queso fresco on top and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe from my cookbook – Absolutely Avocados!
Tags: easy Huevos Rancheros, Huevos Rancheros, Huevos Rancheros recipe, Huevos Rancheros with avocado, Huevos Rancheros with fried eggs, Huevos Rancheros with salsa