Do you guys want to talk about Mexican Lasagna? Ok, great.
Let’s do it.
First of all, have you had it? It’s pretty life changing. My good friend Catherine, of Weelicious, just came out with her first cookbook. You may know her. Or recognize her. Her book was in my fall 2012 fav cookbook round up. (p.s. some of the winners have yet to claim their books – so hop on over and see if you so I can send you your cookbook of choice.) Anyways, today we are celebrating Catherine and her fab cookbook. And to make this an even bigger celebration, I feel like we should give away a cookbook? Whaddya think? I’m into it. Let’s go for it. (details below)
Ok so Weelicious is the PERFECT book if you’ve got a family, lots of little kidlets to feed, and need fun, easy meals that the whole family can enjoy.
Growing up we always ate dinner together. And even though sometimes I wanted to ditch out on dinner and escape to the media room to go play The Sims, I really did appreciate being able to spend those 30 minutes with my fam enjoying a good meal. (quick side note. do you guys remember The Sims? basically the best computer game of all times right?! I wish I could still play it as my 26 year old self without being judged!!) My mom was no short order cook, so we ate whatever she wanted to make that night. And that’s what this book is all about. Each recipe works for little kids to adults and of all the recipes I’ve tried from the book so far, I’ve loved them all! Especially the Mexican Lasagna. I mean how can you go wrong with lightly toasted tortilla chips layered with shredded chicken, sour cream, cheese and salsa? It’s kind of my perfect meal.
I made the Mexican Lasagna last week when we had friends over for dinner. Every single person in the room was over 25 and guess what – we all LOVED the Mexican Lasagna. And I would be willing to bet that any child, my former picky self included, would have licked their plate clean. Good for kids. Good for adults. Everyone wins
You should make this. Maybe even tonight. It’s a pretty great way to kick off the weekend and only spend a short amount of time prepping to make a kick ass meal.
Ok and how about this giveaway? Who wants to win a copy of Weelicious?!? Just leave a comment here telling me your absolute FAVORITE thing to eat when you were a kid and you’ll automatically be entered to win. Check back next Friday the 28th and I’ll announce the winner right here on this post!!
UPDATE – Congratulations to Meagan @ A Zesty Bite for winning the giveaway!! I emailed ya to claim the book
Or you can scoot on over to Amazon and order your very own copy because it’s now available everywhere books are sold
Good luck and happy weekend!!
- cooking oil spray
- 6 small corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mild chunky salsa (I used a spicy one since I don't have kids)
- 1 lb cooked shredded chicken breast
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with oil.
- Place the quartered tortillas on the baking sheet and lightly spray with the oil.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the milk, sour cream, salsa, chicken, cream cheese, cilantro, scallions and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spray a 7x11 baking dish with oil. Arrange half of the tortillas in the dish. Spread half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then sprinkle half of the cheese on top. Repeat this for a second layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.