Well. It’s that time of year again. Or so all the men in my life tell me. Super Bowl. blah blah blah. Football is totally lost on me unless Tim Riggins is involved. And I think it will forever stay like that. But, just because I don’t watch football, doesn’t mean I skip the Super Bowl. Hell no. Super Bowl food is basically the best. You get to eat lots of delicious little bites for a solid 4 hours during the game. And you get to watch an entertaining halftime show. Who else is super excited for Beyonce to preform this year? I can’t even wait.
So today we start football food. I’ve got lots of things in the archives to make like Hot Spinach Dip, dozens of Guacamole, Irish Nachos, Pulled Pork Sliders, Bacon Cheddar Buffalo Wings, I mean I could go on for days. But in addition to all that, we need a few new things right? I’ve got 3 killer Super Bowl dishes coming in the next week and they are all mind blowing. Don’t mind that I totally killed my January healthy eating streak to recipe test these for you guys. I mean, someones gotta do it. And I guess when doing it comes to trying Nacho Loaded Potato Skins, I will happily volunteer.
Nacho Loaded Potato Skins. I mean whaaaaaaat? What does that even mean. It means basically that this is the end all be all game day snack. Imagine a crispy potato skin stuffed with refried beans, bacon, topped with cheese, salsa, guacamole, and chives. Can you dig it? I mean I ate all mine with sour cream on top too, cause I’m that kinda girl.
These rocked my face off. They were amazing. And you 100% have to serve them or bring them to your Super Bowl party. People will be singing your praises all year long. People might even forget there is a football game on and just hang out around the table with these treats. They are the best. And they have guacamole. I mean really? Does it get any better than carbs, cheese, bacon and guacamole all rolled into one amazing potato skin? I think not.
- 6 Russet Potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork
- olive oil
- 6 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Chipotle Guacamole
- 1 cup salsa
- chopped scallions
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle the whole potatoes with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook off 6 pieces of bacon until crispy and then set aside to cool. Once cooled, roughly chop the bacon.
- Remove from oven and let cool until they are cool enough to handle. Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise, and scoop out a most of the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch remaining.
- Crank the oven up to 450 degrees F.
- Place the cut potatoes back onto the baking sheet, flesh side up. Lightly drizzle the tops with olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder and red pepper flakes and place them back into the oven for about 10 more minutes. Flip them onto their other side and bake for another 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
- Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet, cut side up.
- Spoon equal amounts of refried beans into each potato, followed by equal parts bacon and shredded cheese. Place the potato skins back into the oven for 3-4 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and top them with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, scallions, chives or whatever else you'd like to top them with and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!