Between Thomas and I, I think we go though about a pound of both tzatziki and hummus on a weekly basis. To say we’re obsessed is an understatement. We sometimes plan dinners around what we can pair with our 2 fav dips. Many times Thomas even breaks out the hummus after dinner for a little late night snack. We’re weird like that. It’s totally acceptable.
Hummus is just one of those things that works for any time of day. I’ll spread it on a piece of toast in the morning and call it breakfast if I’m in a time pinch. Thomas likes to put it on his scrambled eggs. Most recently, I’ve been crafting these Open Faced Greek Sandwiches that are totally rocking my world. They are loaded with all sorts of vegetables, slathered in hummus, sprinkled with feta and then I like to dip it in a tzatziki style greek yogurt dip. It’s the perfect lunch that’s filling, healthy and keeps you full until your next meal.
So when Sabra asked me to come out to Virginia to visit their headquarters I was game! Already being such a hummus freak, I was excited to get educated on all things hummus and see the factory behind the biggest brand out there. We sampled our way through their entire product line and I’m particularly obsessed with the sun dried tomato and the tuscan garden hummus. You should absolutely try them. The sundried tomato hummus inspired today’s Open Faced Greek Sandwich!
My all time favorite lunch restaurant in Tucson is and was Beyond Bread. They are known for their amazing breads and life changing sandwiches. They also have killer salads. I mashed up 2 of my favorites to create this Open Faced Greek Sandwich with Sabra’s sun dried tomato hummus and greek yogurt dip! Both of which you can find at your local markets – just look for the red lid.
The result, ah-mazing. Totally loved it. So much so, that I made it 3 days in a row for lunch. It’s the perfect combination of all things light and fresh with a little salty feta to make things even more perfect!
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
- 6 tablespoons Sabra sun dried tomato hummus
- 1 handful watercress, or lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 persian cucumber, sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt dip for dipping as needed
- Lay 2 pieces of toasted bread on a clean surface.
- Slather each piece with equal amounts of hummus and top with watercress, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and red onion. Crumble the feta on top of each open faced sandwich and season with salt and pepper
- Serve alongside the greek yogurt dip and enjoy
A big thanks to Sabra for bringing me out to Virginia to learn all about one of my favorite snacks and dips!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!