Parmesan Pretzel Dogs. Perfect for an outdoor movie night, and just about every other occasion because they are that freaking good!!
Homemade soft pretzel dough that is embellished with a bit of Parmesan and Italian Seasoning that then gets wrapped around a hot dog and baked until it’s golden brown – AND THEN dunked in ketchup = it’s quite possibly the best movie night meal ever invented. okay, you can totally dunk yours in mustard if you want too… I’m just a total ketchup fanatic and believe that most things in life are better when covered with a homemade tomato-y goodness. You could also get crazy and dip them in salsa. Just saying.
After I made those Italian Pretzel Knots, I’ve been hooked. I’m always dreaming up moments when I can use the pretzel dough recipe and make them into something fab – and pretzel dogs seemed like an excellent idea. I also want pretzel burgers, and pretzel bites, and pretzel pizza. But hey – gotta leave something for upcoming parties! Today is all about the Parmesan Pretzel Dogs!!
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- 10 cups water
- 10 hot dogs
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Pretzel salt
- Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour, butter, Italian seasoning and parmesan and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside. Meanwhile, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan.
- In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 10 equal pieces. Roll into ropes, and then roll the rope around an entire hot dog, making sure to secure the ends.
- Place onto 2 sil-pat lined sheet pans.
- Place the pretzeldogs into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!