Peach Galette with Vanilla Ice Cream
This past weekend was a whirlwind of events. My Omi and Papa (that’s German for Grams and Gramps) were in town, my mom and sister flew in too and on top of that we had a bridal shower and a wedding to attend! We were busy! The whole weekend was perfect except for when I dropped a bowl onto my foot (which broke on my 2nd toe) by accident… and, well, lets just say I am glad I still have all 10 of my toes… it was ugly… luckily for me I didn’t have to get stitches. On top off all that, I even managed to squeeze in a dinner party of 7 on Friday night. I served a variety of things but my favorite dish of the night was dessert. This peach galette paired perfectly with some serious vanilla ice cream. Holy cow. It’s a good thing I had people over to share it with me… because I have no doubt in my mind that I could have eaten the entire galette and quart of ice cream by myself.
It was a perfect summer dessert. The warm galette had a super flaky and buttery crust and the peaches were perfectly ripe meanwhile the ice cream cooled everything down!
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small sauce pan combine the milk, salt and sugar. Scrape the seeds from the inside of the vanilla bean and add them to the milk mixture as well as the actual vanilla bean. Place over sauce pan over medium high heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 30 minutes. In another bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Place the warmed milk back onto the stove over medium heat. Spoon 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks and whisk quickly. Then add the entire egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk. Cook on medium low heat until the eggs are fully cooked and its of custard consistency. Once the mixture thickens, pour it through a strainer into another clean bowl. Once strained, add the cream and vanilla extract. Cover the bowl with the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Then churn in your ice cream maker according to its directions.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cold and cut unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 3 ripe peaches, pit removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- **egg wash or melted butter**
- In a food processor combine the flour, salt, sugar, and butter. Pulse for about 10 seconds until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Slowly add the ice water while pulsing. Once the dough starts to pull together stop pulsing and remove from the food processor. Pack the dough into a disk shape, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, remove the dough from the fridge and roll out into a rectangle shape about 1/3 inch thick. Arrange the sliced peaches on the dough and then fold the sides of the dough over. Sprinkle with the sugar. Brush the sides of the dough with the egg wash or melted butter and bake in a 375 degree oven until the dough is golden brown and flaky.
Tags: american cuisine, british cuisine, cream, cuisine, Dessert, Desserts, food and drink, Galette, Ice Cream, ice cream makers, italian cuisine, other, peach, Peach Dessert, Peach Galette, peaches, Sugar, vanilla beans, vanilla extract, vanilla ice, Vanilla Ice Cream