Here’s a little nugget of wisdom… this Persimmon, Pomegranate and Ricotta Salad is 100% going to rock your world.
You know those moments when you’re like, oh it’s totally a great idea to eat 4 giant cookies before I go to bed. It’s no problem. I’ll burn it off in my sleep. And then you wake up the next morning and feel like you just want to stuff a bag of spinach down for breakfast. Okay, okay… not really the actual bag of spinach. But you know what I mean.
Well, that happened to me this week. And it’s one of the reasons why I cannot keep cookies in my house. They must be removed from my sight promptly after I eat a handful and I cannot see them again. Otherwise I’ll hose down a dozen cookies in one day, no questions asked.
On the other side of the spectrum, I’m having a serious love affair with this Persimmon, Pomegranate and Ricotta Salad. It’s a fall farmers market salad at its finest and you’re going to feel like a million bucks when you have this for lunch, dinner or breakfast! Trust me, it works for all occasions.
I was feeling very ambitious the other day and made a batch of homemade ricotta cheese and then rather than eat the entire batch with a spoon, I opted for a healthier route and worked it into this beauty of a salad. It’s loaded with persimmons, pomegranates, a variety of market lettuce, fresh ricotta (obviously) and then topped with a red wine vinaigrette. It’s perfection if you ask me.
AND…. it would make a rather gorgeous addition to your Thanksgiving Menu! Just saying. At least I know I’ve gotta have a little something green that day to balance out the obscene amounts of gravy that I plan on consuming.
- 1 handful baby arugula
- 1 handful butter lettuce
- 1 handful red leaf lettuce
- 2 persimmons, washed and cut into bite sized wedges
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl combine various greens, persimmons, pomegranate seeds and toss to combine. Sprinkle the fresh ricotta cheese over the top of the salad and drizzle with the dressing as needed. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, honey and olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Set aside for serving
Persimmons are one of my favorite fall produce items! They can be eaten just like an apple. If you can't find them at your local market you can easily replace them with apples in this recipe.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!