Persimmons are the name of the game this month and I can’t get enough! This persimmon salad is basically what dreams are made of and you’ll be equally as obsessed as me – promise!
One of my friends from the food world – you might know him as he’s an amazing food genius named Russ Parsons – wrote this recipe a few years back and made it for me last year. I died. On the spot died. He’s brilliant and I can’t get enough. The persimmons are just slightly sweet with this delicious savory vinaigrette – omg. GAME CHANGER! It’s been on repeat for weeks and I’ll probably cry when persimmons go out of season! Make it while there’s still time!
- 2 pounds Fuyu persimmons
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cut off the tough green tops and slice each persimmon in 10 to 12 wedges.
- In a small jar, combine the lime juice, cumin, about half of the chile, a dash of salt and the walnut oil. Tightly cover and shake hard to mix well. Taste the dressing on a small piece of persimmon. There should be just enough chile to add a suggestion of heat. If you'd like it hotter, add more and shake again.
- Combine the persimmons and the dressing in a work bowl and toss to coat well. Turn the salad out into a decorative bowl and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds, walnuts and cilantro. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!