Latkes are some of my favorite little snacks in the whole world. It’s weird that even though I like them so much, I only manage to make them around the holidays. Last year I had to make about 300 latkes for a swanky Hollywood producers party that I was catering and I pretty much hated life by the end of making them, maybe that’s why I haven’t made latkes since. But whatever.
I made them again this week and devoured them! I served them with the tradition sour cream for everyone else… but for myself… can you guess what I served it with…. GUACAMOLE!!! Pretty much the best decision I have ever made. I don’t know why these aren’t served with guacamole more often. They are amazing!
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp. AP Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Sea Salt and pepper
- Grapeseed oil (for frying)
- Sour cream or any other toppings you prefer
- In a large bowl, grate the onion and the flour with a box grater. You can also do this in a food processor, if you have the right attachments.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from mixture and sprinkle with salt. Transfer to another bowl and add the chives, flour, eggs, and salt and pepper. Gently mix together with a fork.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of grape seed oil into a large pan and heat over medium high heat.
- To form the latkes, take 1/4 cup of the potato mixture and flatten it into a 3 inch circle. Fry for about 4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown. (adjust time if your latkes are browning faster)
- Transfer latkes to a paper tower lined plate and let some of the oil drip off. Serve with sour cream or any other toppings you prefer.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!