Earlier this week on snapchat you guys BEGGED for easy lunches! So as your knight in shining armor, here I am, with Quinoa Taco Bowls!
It’s part bowl / part protein / part salad and it’s pretty damn good if I say so myself. So it’s everything you could possibly want in a meal.
There’s very little prep actually involved. It’s just making the taco meat, prepping a salsa/sauce and then chopping some stuff up and throwing it in a bowl. Simple right? It can all be prepped ahead on Sunday nights and then you can assemble them for the week. Add avocado in the morning before you take off for work and your lunch situation will NOT be boring!!
The taco meat can be made with ground turkey or ground chicken so we’re still keeping it lean. The Tomatillo salsa is out of this world and you’ll want to keep it on hand for most things. Chicken, fish, rice, quinoa, pasta, a bowl of beans… it makes anything into a show stopper! Make it, you WILL NOT be disappointed! It’ll be on your weekly rotation forever and ever and you’ll be outta your lunch rut in no time flat.
- ¾ pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups thinly shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo
- ½ cup freshly grated colby jack cheese
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and corn sliced off the cob
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- cilantro leaves
- A few tablespoons red onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa (recipe below)
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- ½ jalapeno, you can remove the seeds if you want, or leave them in for an extra kick
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a medium skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Add the ground chicken or turkey and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until fully cooked. Add the taco seasoning and a few tablespoons of water and reduce heat to low. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes while you assemble the bowls.
- Divide the quinoa amongst 4 bowls and top with piles of the meat, romaine, pico, cheese, corn, avocado, green onions, cilantro, red onion, black beans and a dollop of the avocado dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve as needed.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove the husks from the tomatillos. Rinse under warm water well and wipe clean. Cut the tomatillos in half and place into a baking pan with the onions and jalapeno. Roast for 20 minutes until they are tender. Remove and set aside to cool. Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed until it’s smooth like a salad dressing.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!