This is now my second time in 2 weeks that I have made this dessert – it is just that good! I picked up a few baskets of berries at my farmers market this past weekend so I thought it only appropriate that I make a delicious dessert to be served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. This mixed berry cobbler is the perfect dish for the end of summer and was a total hit at the dinner party – people were literally licking the bottom of the serving dish!!!
- For the Filling:
- 6 cups mixed berries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- For the Topping:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a oval baking dish.
- In a bowl combine the berries, sugar, flour, zest and salt. Toss to combine all the ingredients and put into the oval dish. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In yet another bowl combine the egg, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and whisk together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold the two together until a soft dough is formed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the mixed berries, leaving little pockets where the berries are visible. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until the dough turns golden brown.
Serve either warm or at room temperature and with or without a scoop of ice cream.
Trust me when I tell you that EVERYONE will love this dish. I ate at least 2 serving – and a third later in the evening!
Tags: Blackberries, Blueberries, Cobbler, Mixed Berry Cobbler, Raspberries