Paella is something that I rarely make. I don’t really have a good reason because every single time I do get around to making it – well – it is just so delicious! You can add so many different types of meat and seafood and create various recipes by just altering 1 or 2 ingredients. This specific paella uses only shrimp and scallops as I was cooking for a few non meat lovers!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 shallots, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pinches of saffron
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 8 jumbo shrimp, split and deveined
- 8 sea scallops
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- 1 lemon, juiced
- **You can easily add mussels and clams to this dish - the only reason I neglected these was because they were not fresh when I was at the market**
- Preheat the over to 425 degrees. In a large skillet, 13 inches, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and bay and cook for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the saffron over the mixture. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes until all the rice is coated with oil. Add the wine, salt and chicken stock, making sure the rice is evenly distributed in the pan. Adjust the heat to high and bring to a simmer. One simmering, remove the skillet from the heat and sprinkle with the tomatoes. Transfer the entire dish to the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and add the shrimp and scallops into the rice mixture. Place back into the oven and continue to cook for about 13 minutes until the seafood is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley, drizzle with remaining olive oil and evenly distribute the lemon juice over the paella.
Doesn’t that look fabulous.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!