So what do you do with a little bit of leftover red wine? You could drink it. Or you make Red Wine Glazed Mushrooms and Potatoes. Both seem like perfectly reasonable choices to me – but if you’re hungry than one is for sure a better option than the other.
So, after you make yourself some mushrooms and potatoes, then you should pour yourself a glass and cozy on up to watch some Friday Night Lights. That is exactly what I did this weekend. And here’s the thing – I’ve never seen Friday Night Lights until now. And holy moly is it addicting. I mean where the heck was I when it was on? I’ve powered through season 1 and now I’m halfway through season 2 and I’m hooked. 100% obsessed. I can’t even handle it. I need more hours in the day so I can get all my work done and watch at least 4 hours of FNL. Do you guys watch it? Thank goodness I’ve got a few flights coming up so I can watch marathons sessions.
I’ve recently teamed up with the fab folks over at Barefoot Wine + Bubbly to do a little bit of cooking with their wines! I mean, it’s a tough job, but someones gotta do it! 🙂
First up was this Red Wine Glazed Mushrooms and Potatoes side dish. It’s kinda the perfect thing for this time of year. The mushrooms are slowly cooked so their flavors really shine and then they are mixed with some potatoes and then doused with some Cab Sav. I cook the wine down for a bit so it basically turns into a thick creamy glaze and then dust the whole thing with fresh chives for a pop of color. It’s an easy side dish, that’s for sure, but it’s a crowd pleaser. Especially if you’re as addicted to mushrooms as me!
- 1 cup sliced Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- [1/2] cup Barefoot Wine Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons plain goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a small pot of water and bring to a boil. Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain them off from the water and set them aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil to the hot skillet and let the butter melt.
- Once the butter has melted, add the shallot and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms to the onion and garlic mixture and stir to coat in the oil mixture. Cook the mushrooms, over medium high heat, sautéing frequently for 15 minutes until they are golden brown and caramelized. Add the potatoes and stir for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the Barefoot Wine Cabernet Sauvignon and let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the wine has reduced and the vegetables are coating in a red wine glaze.
- Add the goat cheese and chives and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!