I have a love affair with risotto. It’s so creamy and comforting and you can practially add any kind of flavoring to it! I make it all the time for my clients with Chantrelle Mushrooms, or Zucchini Ribbons or Asparagus and Parmesan… I mean the possibilities are endless! The only problem with Risotto is that when you have leftovers and you heat it up – it never gets to be that super creamy consistency. But – not to fear – I’ve solved this problem, because honestly, we can’t let Risotto go to waste!! Risotto cakes are the perfect solution. All you do is that the leftover risotto, or a freshly made risotto that you chill, form it into little cakes, send it through the breading process and sear them up in a skillet. Serve it with your favorite pesto sauce and call it a day!! They are to die for – and the perfect little munchie at any time of the day.
|Risotto Cakes with Pesto|
Recipe Type: Appetizer
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced (or 1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup dry White Wine
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Marscapone Cheese
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp Grapeseed oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko bread crumps
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute more. Add the Arborio rice to the skillet, making sure to stir it around in the olive oil so that each granule is coated with it, and toast it for about 3 minutes. Next add the white wine and stir the rice. Wait until all the wine has been absorbed and then start adding the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time, making sure not to add more until the previous addition has been absorbed. Once the rice is just tender, add the Parmesan and Marscapone cheese and combine. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Refridgerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Once chilled, form little risotto cakes with 1/3 cup of the cooked risotto. Whisk the egg into a small bowl. In another small bowl, add the bread crumbs. Dip each risotto cake into the egg mixture, followed by the bread crumbs.
- Add the Grapeseed oil to a skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add 3 risotto cakes at a time, careful not to crowd the pan. Sear for 2 minutes on each side until the breadcrumbs are just golden brown. Remove from skillet and place on a papertowl to let some of the oil drip off. Serve while warm with a side of your favorite pesto!
Tags: how to make risotto, how to make risotto cakes, leftover risotto ideas, risotto cakes, Risotto recipes, sun dried tomato recipes, Sun Dried Tomato Risotto Cakes