Given the opportunity to combine two of my favorite foods, it’s hard to say no. Potatoes and avocados are epic for many reasons… one of which being that they are both extremely versatile. From mashed potatoes to fries and guacamole to a sauce, it’s hard to go wrong. And these Roasted Potato Fries with Avocado Aioli are the perfect way to combine the two.
If you take a peek in this months issue of Every Day with Rachel Ray magazine, Better Homes and Gardens and Weight Watchers, you’ll find one of my favorite collaborations to date with the US Potato Board featuring this recipe! Basically this means that Roasted Potato Fries with Avocado Aioli are going to be happening all over the country, and I for one am very excited!!
So, here’s the deal, my husband is a meat and potatoes kinda guy and I grew up in a mostly vegetarian household. So while meat makes an appearance on the table every now and then, potatoes are on the menu at least 3 times a week. Oven baked fries are one of my favorite side dishes because you can jazz them up with different spices and serve them with just about anything. Plus they are good for you. I mean, hello, a medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato with skin-on has only 110 calories, has more potassium than a banana, provides 45% of your daily value of Vitamin C and has zero fat, sodium or cholesterol. Sign me up!
So be sure to check out the recipe below… or grab a copy of one of the magazines listed above!
- 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. On a large baking sheet, combine the fingerling potatoes, olive oil, paprika, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Toss to combine until the potatoes are evenly coated with the spice mixture and olive oil.
- Transfer the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and place the avocado flesh onto a cutting board. Cut the avocado into 1-inch pieces and transfer the avocado to a blender.
- Add the sour cream, basil, garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper into the blender and process until smooth.
- Taste and add salt and lemon juice if needed. If the mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon of water and blend until smooth.
- Serve with warm Roasted Potato Fries.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!