I’m having a moment with Fennel Sausage, particularly on a pizza that’s accompanied with mozzarella, fennel and red pepper flakes. It’s the picture of perfection and it’s all coming your way today. Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza – let’s get into it!
I don’t know what happened but sometime in the last few years I’ve developed an affinity for fennel. Maybe I’m making up for lost time as I never had it before culinary school – but better late than never right? Italian Sausage always have fennel seed in it, so it’s readily available at your local market. Grab a package of it and sauté it up for some pizza toppings! Then grab some smoked mozzarella, a fresh bulb of fennel and some red onions along with a cup or so of pizza sauce and you’re in business. It can all go on top of your Delallo Pizza Kit which couldn’t be easier!
- 1 Delallo Italian Pizza Dough Kit
- 1-2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella, cut into little squares
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, torn
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 red onion, super thinly sliced
- Sliced scallion
- red pepper flakes, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Thirty minutes before cooking the pizza, put your pizza stone in the oven.
- Follow the directions on the Delallo Italian Pizza Dough kit to make the dough. Once the dough is ready, divide the pizza dough into 2 even pieces. Stretch each piece of dough in a circular motion, then lay them both out on a flat surface and flatten out using a rolling pin. If you have a pizza peel, sprinkle some flour on it and place the stretched out dough on the peel.
- Once your 2 pizza doughs are flat and ready to be cooked, spread the pizza sauce on top of each dough.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces and top each pizza with equal amounts of the mozzarella and smoked mozzarella and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and thinly sliced fennel and red onion. Transfer the pizzas into the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes until the crust is golden.
- Remove pizza from the oven and top with scallions. Season as needed and serve.
** This post is brought to you by Delallo. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking**
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!