Southwestern Chipotle Brisket Tacos
Brisket is just one of those comforting dishes that you can just prep and walk away. Then magically, 10 hours later, you have a perfectly tender piece of meat and low and behold your kitchen is still clean because it’s pretty much all done in a slow cooker! Score Who doesn’t love a clean kitchen.
Typically I make brisket with fried eggs and serve it for brunch, but I decided to spice things up a bit due to my recent obsession with all things Chipotle. So rather than the typical onions, celery, carrots and tomato paste, I opted for a handful of southwestern spices and a spoonful of chipotles in adobo. And let me tell you, those 10 hours that the meat spent cooking, made my apartment smell fabulous! Once it’s all cooked, shredded and tender just add a healthy dollop of Guacamole and a sprinkle of cheese and have yourself a Southwestern Chipotle Brisket Taco!
|Southwestern Chipotle Brisket Tacos|
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 hours
Total time: 10 hours 10 mins
- 3 pounds beef brisket
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 yellow onions onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 chipotles in adobo (there are usually about 10 chipotles in a can, so you can individually freeze the rest in plastic bags to use for future recipes!)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- In a large dutch oven heat the oil over high heat. Salt and pepper the meat on both sides and then sear it in the dutch oven for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove and set into your slow cooker. To the slow cooker, add the onions, garlic and all the spices along with the vinegar, water, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, bay leave and molasses. Mix everything around with a fork and make sure the meat is nestled under all the juices. Turn your slow cooked to low and let it work its magic for 10 hours.
- hours later…. remove the brisket from all the excess juices and slow cooker, using 2 forks, shred the brisket. Adjust seasoning as needed. You can either use the brisket right away, or transfer to a container and use the following day.
- Serve on a corn tortilla with a big spoonful of Guacamole and some cotija cheese.
Tags: Brisket Tacos, Chipotle Brisket, Chipotle Tacos, Southwestern Brisket, Southwestern Chipotle Brisket Tacos, Southwestern Tacos, Spicy Brisket, Tacos