Once upon a time, I told myself I was going to cut out carbs for a few days. Then I decided I wanted to make pasta for dinner. Clearly that no carb thing wasn’t going to work. Then I decided to have the said pasta for leftover lunch the next day. And THEN I got even crazier and made noodles again the next night for dinner. And I lived happily ever after. The end.
I’m a noodle kinda gal through and through.
So much so that my Omi (that’s grandma in German) once told me that I was going to turn into a big giant noodle if I didn’t start eating something else besides pasta! Growing up that was basically all I ate. Pasta and Grilled Cheese. I’ve always loved my carbs. Can’t stop, won’t stop. I’d order pasta at every restaurant no matter what the occasion or speciality. It could have been the best restaurant in town, and I’d ordered noodles with garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese 10 times outta 10. It’s the way I roll. Even to this day, there is something crazy comforting about sitting back with a bowl of garlic noodles and just enjoying a simple meal.
But we all know how to make those, so let’s make something that’s a bit more festive and nutrient packed today, shall we? Spicy Peanut Noodles have been on my mind lately. It’s basically the only way I can consume peanut butter (I know this is totally not normal – I just don’t like peanut butter really!). These Spicy Peanut Noodles are loaded with lots of awesome things like zucchini, yellow squash, shredded carrots, red bell peppers, crushed peanuts, mint and cilantro. It’s a flavor explosion in your mouth. Especially because of the mint and the cilantro. They really make it shine.
And zucchini noodles are kinda having their “moment” right now so I thought it would be fun to do a combo, zucchini noodle and regular noodle dish for ya’ll. I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it. And the peanut noodle sauce – I literally slurped mine out of the bowl last night. It’s just that good.
- 10 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 yellow squash, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 persian cucumber, sliced
- handful of fresh mint and cilantro
- crushed peanuts for garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- Fill a large pot with water, add 2 generous pinches of salt, and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Combine the lime juice, red pepper flakes, garlic, honey, peanut butter, how water and soy sauce in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and add the zucchini noodles and yellow squash noodles on top of the pasta so the remnant heat from the pasta slightly cooked the vegetables. After about 5 minutes, toss the pasta and veggies with the peanut sauce. Add in the carrot, red bell pepper and cucumber. Garnish with the cilantro, mint and peanuts and serve.
This can be served either at cold, at room temperature or warm.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!