Steamed Clams might be one of my favorite dishes to serve during the spring and summer months when the sun is out, legs are bronzed and people are excited to be outside. It’s exceptionally delicious, especially when served with a loaf of toasted crusty bread, not to mention it’s an easy recipe but still manages to please a crowd.
For the month of May, I’m excited to bring you a ton of great dinner ideas starring one of my favorite things to drink: wine. I’ve been busy cooking away to create some delicious recipes featuring their different varietals and I think we’ve come up with 5 recipes that are going to work their way into your kitchen as staple meals!
First up, we’re talking clams. Steamed Clams to be precise. The weather on the west coast has been pretty phenomenal recently, and I just want to throw some outdoor parties with friends, drink lots of wine, and keep the meal light and easy! Steamed Clams and Pinot Grigio were obviously the answer.
I like to keep my clams pretty simple with a combination of olive oil and butter, a healthy dose of garlic, shallots and some red pepper flakes for a little kick. I then add some of my favorite, The Naked Grape Pinto Grigio and then the clams and they are basically ready to serve after the addition of a little lemon and some freshly chopped herbs! The Naked Grape Pinto Grigio is the perfect white wine for these steamed clams because of its light refreshing taste and undertones of pear, lemon and honey. All great flavors when it comes to complimenting the clams.
From start to finish, this dish takes under 20 minutes and it really does please a crowd. Not to mention it’s gorgeous to look at too! With dinners on the patio finally happening again, this is the perfect option when you’re gathering all your friends over. Just pair it with a bright green salad, perhaps with some segmented citrus, and call it a day. Of course you can always bring it full circle and serve your guests glasses of The Naked Grape Pinto Grigio too! Now that sounds like the perfect night with friends.
Here’s a play by play picture extravaganza on how to make them:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup The Naked Grape Pinto Grigio
- 4-5 pounds of clams (Littlenecks or Manilla), scrubbed, rinsed and cleaned
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Toasted baguette for serving
- Combine the butter and olive oil in a large shallow skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and the red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant but not burned.
- Add the wine and increase the heat to medium-high to bring the wine to a simmer.
- Add the clams, cover with the lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams that are still closed. Add the chives and juice from the lemon wedges and give the pot a quick stir.
- Transfer the clams and the cooking liquid to a large serving bowl and serve with pieces of toasted bread to soak up the cooking liquid.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!