If I had to pick one summer dessert to have for the rest of my life, hands down the choice would be these Strawberry Blueberry Shortcakes!
They are equal parts gorgeous and delicious and really can’t be beat. Plus they are patriotic, without being complicated or fussy, for the upcoming 4th of July celebrations! And… they can be eaten in a bowl! (which is really what life is all about!) In fact, I think everything in life should be eaten out of a bowl, amiright? It’s my new thing, and it’s seriously cutting back on the dishes. You should try it!
But back to the shortcakes!! A combination of homemade biscuits sliced in half, topped with a big dollop of freshly whipped vanilla infused cream and macerated strawberries and blueberries is my idea of the perfect summer dessert. These would go perfectly with just about any summer menu and come Friday, you can guarantee that I’ll be polishing off two or three of these! Hey, it’s been 2.5 weeks since I sold my car and have been scooting around LA on my bicycle… I deserve a treat!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Seeds 1 vanilla bean (optional) or use vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, lemon zest, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds until everything is evenly combined.
- Add the butter and pulse for 20-30 seconds until the butter is cut into small pea sized chunks.
- Combine the cream and vanilla in small bowl.
- Add the cream mixture to the food processor and combine for 30 seconds until you have a dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and divide it into 9 equal portions, about 3 ounces each. Form each portion of dough into a biscuit about 3/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the sliced strawberries and sugar in a large bowl and set aside for at least 2 hours until the strawberries are juicy.
- Before serving, toss the marinated strawberries with the blueberries
- In a large stand mixer, combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla bean and whip until medium stiff peaks form and then set aside the cream.
- Slice the biscuits in half and place the bottom half in a bowl. Top with a large spoonful of the fruit and a large dollop of the cream. Place the other half of the biscuit on top and serve immediately.
Photo Credit: Matt Armendariz
Food Styling Credit: Adam Pearson
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!