Sometimes you just need to press the reset button on life. I feel like December was a whirlwind. Between travel, hanging with my parents, and eating an inappropriate amount of cookies, it was an epic month, but still exhausting. And then all of a sudden it was January and it was all like boom, watch your inbox explode. Add on the fact that all of my TV shows are starting and it’s award season, AND my boyfriend just came out with a new movie … sometimes you just need to take a pause on life and hit reset.
So while I’m pressing reset, I’m also resetting my diet. Which starts with this superfood salad. And this one is loaded with so many different superfoods it’s going to rock your world.
Piled high with kale, mandarins, quinoa, beets, avocados, almonds and dried cranberries this salad will keep ya going all day long. I’m on a mission to continue my healthy eating for the next 10 days because then I’m leaving for Brazil! And while it’s cold and rainy in most of the states at the moment, it’s the middle of summer in Brazil and I’m packing nothing but sundresses and shorts/tanks.
Between this salad, plenty of carrot tumeric juice and daily pilates sessions… I think I’ll be ready for Brazil just in the nick of time.
So for all ya’ll out there who are on the reset train with me, this salad is the perfect way to keep chugging along! You could throw on a piece of roasted chicken or salmon and call it dinner too!
- 2 bunches of kale, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup whole natural almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 6 whole beets, roasted and skin removed
- 3 satsuma mandarins, peeled and divided into sections
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons orange muscat champagne vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine the kale, quinoa, almonds, raisins and cranberries in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk together the olive oil and orange muscat champagne vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, cut the beets into bite sized pieces and add them into the salad along with the sectioned mandarin oranges.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and dice the avocado into bite sized pieces. Add the avocado to the salad.
- Toss everything together to combine. Taste and add the remaining vinaigrette if desired. Season with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.