Annnnnndddddd I’m back in LA. Last week I was in Portland and NYC for a little but of work and a whole lotta eating. More on that later… but for now, I’m back home and it feels so good to be sleeping in my own bed! Before I left I made a big crock pot of tri tip so Thomas could use it throughout the week while I was gone. I mean I didn’t want him to starve or anything like that while I was frolicking around NYC eating at some amazing restaurants. That just wouldn’t be fair, would it?
So I made him tri tip. In the crock pot. And let’s all just take a moment to admire what my new crock pot looks like….
It’s hot pink. And zebra striped. And I added some pics from my wedding because it was the right thing to do.
Is that not the coolest thing you’ve ever seen? I mean, maybe you wouldn’t want one with my wedding pics on it, but you could make your own design for sure! I’m a huge crock pot fan. Slow cooking in the winter months is my jam. You can make basically anything you want and just leave it to cook for the day and then come home to a hot and delicious dinner. It’s brilliant. So clearly, I’m obsessed.
Anyways, did you know that tri tip is totes amazing in a crock pot. I love slow cooked tri tip on the grill, but it’s just as good in a slow cooker! I just seasoned the heck out of it before I threw it in and voila… 8 hours later we had tacos for days. Well, Thomas did at least. I only got 1 nights worth because I flew out the new morning. But I came home to an empty fridge, so clearly he liked them!!
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs tri-tip roast
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup beef stock
- tortillas as needed
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, paprika, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Liberally season the tri-tip roast with the spices and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the roast into your slow cooker and cover it with the diced tomatoes and chilies, onions, garlic cloves and beef stock.
- Set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 8-10 hours until the meat is easily shredded.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and give it a rough chop and use as needed for tacos.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!