Back when I was in college I would visit my local farmers market a buy a big container of Tzatziki each week and use it for just about everything. Pita, Chicken, Lamb, Salads, basically anything I could easily whip up and then slather with tzatziki. It was literally the worlds best tzatziki and I was super sad when I moved out of the bay area and didn’t have my weekly dose of this heavenly yogurt dip.
Never fear though, I’ve created my own tzatziki recipe that will totally change your life. I’ve had my fair share of this dip in my life and I’m partial to a tzatziki that has a little bit of a chunky texture. So rather than shredding the cucumbers, I’m a fan of cutting the cukes up into small little cubes. Plus they are cute!
I’ve thrown it on these super tender and juicy lamb kebabs that get a yogurt marinade for a day or two. It’s kind of the perfect spring or summer meal. Just saying.
Serve it up with an herbed quinoa salad and and perhaps a glass or two of your favorite red wine and I can promise you that you’ll be on very happy person!
Just look at that dip. And those super tender, fall apart in your mouth, lamb kebabs. And those crisps pita wedges. Yes please.
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoons dried rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pounds top round lamb, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced - about 1 cup
- juice of 1 lemon plus more if needed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cubed lamb into the marinade and make sure the lamb is covered. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After the lamb has marinated, thread 6 pieces of the meat onto a skewer and repeat for the remaining pieces of meat.
- Head your grill to medium high heat and brush the grill with a touch of olive oil. Place the skewers on the grill and let cook for 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally, for medium meat. Cook longer if desired.
- Combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic and dill in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Keeps up to 1 week.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!