This post comes to you from bright and sunny Mexico. Because, well, that’s where I am. Soaking up the sun in Los Cabos with my HUSBAND. Weird. Right? I mean I just got used to saying fiancé and now I have to readjust to having a HUSBAND.
Now before you start yelling at my for writing and blogging during my honeymoon, here’s the deal. I wake up insanely early. I can’t help it. I think it has something to do with all the fruit and vegetables I was eating before the wedding, but I just feel great and thus, I wake up early. So Thomas is fast asleep while I quietly type away on my computer. Mind you, I’m also sitting outside on our balcony next to my own private pool. Its awesome. I’m happy.
Anyways, before we left California, I was on a quinoa kick. Ya, ya, I know everyone is currently obsessed with quinoa. But I just can’t help it. It’s sooo easy and versatile. The week after our wedding I cooked up about 4 cups of dry quinoa and just left it plain in the fridge. And then every day I would portion out a little bit for myself and mix in lots of delicious add ins like these beets, fresh farmers market corn, fresh mozzarella, and basil and then shower the whole thing with a champagne vinaigrette. It’s heavenly. Healthy. And just what I needed before we headed to Mexico. (plus I knew I was going to stuff myself silly with guacamole upon our arrival in Mexico. I mean it’s just what I do. I think you’d all be seriously concerned with my health if I did anything else) Am I right?
So here’s a little quinoa salad, and my last little hurrah to summer. I’m not quite ready for fall, but I’m sure my feelings towards that will change as soon as we get some rain in LA and I can cozy up on my couch with my UGGS, my cat, and a fat cup of tea. Anyways, what am I talking about, it’s still sunny and gorgeous out. Let’s make a salad.
Beet, Corn and Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups chicken or vegetables stock
- 4 beets quartered and ends trimmed off
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn on the cob kernels removed
- 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls halved
- 10 basil leaves cut into a chiffonade
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the quinoa and stock in a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Cook the quinoa until it has absorbed all of the liquid and then remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Place the quartered and trimmed beets on a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Place the pan into the oven and roast for about 40 minutes until the beets are tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven and set them aside to cool. When they are cool enough to touch, rub off the skin and then cut the beets into bite sized pieces and add to the qunioa mixture.
- Toss in the corn, mozzarella and basil leaves and give the salad a quick toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, remaining olive oil, champagne vinaigrette and dijon mustard. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve.