Guess what today is?!?! It’s my birthday! Only my favorite holiday of the year, right after Cinco de Mayo! Well I guess it might be tied with Cinco de Mayo – but whatever! Birthdays are my favorite, whether it’s my birthday or a friends. They are a day to celebrate and shower someone with love, and drink fun festive cocktails! And that is exactly what I am doing today!
Today I’m writing to your from Texas! I’m here at the International Association of Culinary Professionals aka IACP, my favorite conference of the year, and I am so excited to celebrate my birthday Texas style with some amazing people like Aida, Jessica, Elise, Jaden, Shauna, Penny and so many more! So I guess there will be a little more than celebrating going on – I mean I need to learn a thing or two at this conference 🙂
Last week I celebrated my birthday with some close friends back in LA and made this festive spring/summery drink to celebrate. The Boozy Strawberry Limeade might be even better than the Rhubarb Margaritas I made a few weeks back. It’s not too sweet, which is good, because hangovers really suck, and its all freshly juiced so none of those mixes which leave you with the worst sugar headaches.
This is the perfect drink to celebrate this weeks Spring Fling! It’s all about strawberries and right now you can find ah-mazing strawberries all around southern California! They made for quite an excellent cocktail.
Make them. Drink them. And I promise you’ll love ’em!
Boozy Strawberry Limeade
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberry roughly chopped
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 4-6 oz Silver or Blanco Tequila depending on how boozy you want your drinks
- Splash of Gran Marnier
- 1 cup ice
- Combine the water, sugar and mint leaves in a small sauce pan. Place on stove over medium high heat and bring to a rolling boil until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes so the mint can infuse.
- Strain the mint mixture into a pitcher and discard mint leaves. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice and strawberries and blend with an immersion blender. Strain out any pulpy remains.
- Add the Blanco Tequila, splash of Gran Marnier and stir. Add more Gran Marnier to sweeten if desired. Top with ice, lime wedges and serve.