I’m back!! If you were following along on instagram you’re probably well aware of my Alaskan expedition. It was the most wonderful trip I’ve ever been on and I’ll fill you guys in later this week when I’ve had a chance to sort through 2000 photos. And I’ve got a fun little announcement at the end of this post 🙂
But I’m back, a few pounds heavier (I ate my weight in salmon) and ready to hop back into the kitchen. Good thing because 4th of July is basically here and we’ve gotta party!
And what says party better than a broccoli salad?
No? Cocktails? Maybe combine them both and then you’ll really have a party 🙂
So I’ve always stayed away from broccoli salad until this week. Raw broccoli freaks me out. Big time. But with 4th of July in a few hours I figured I needed get on board with the broccoli salad party.
Does raw broccoli give you the heebie jeebies too? Well, if it does, I’ve just solved your dilemma. And if it doesn’t, well then, props to you, but you should make this too.
I bought a boat load of broccoli and just blanched it for 60 seconds flat in some boiling water and then dunked it right into an ice bath to make sure the broccoli keeps that bright green color for the salad. Then, wait for it, I nixed the mayo and use avocado instead. Go figure. It’s like I love avocado or something like that!!
It worked like a charm. I threw in some bacon for good measure, and some cherry tomatoes, red onion and golden raisins because that was the right thing to do.
Then you just kinda toss it all together and call it a day. I even let it sit out for a few hours to “test” 4th of July conditions and it stood up perfectly.
So here ya go… a quick, easy and much healthier (minus the bacon) broccoli salad that’s totally needing to be on your menu tomorrow.
Oh, and I’ve got a fun little announcement. You’ll be seeing a whole lot more of me here on WGC. Literally. We’ve been filming the What’s Gaby Cooking video series for the past few weeks and I’m so pumped that July is finally here and I can start sharing it! I’ll be putting up 1 video a week with a new recipe and easy video instructions on how to make it!
You’ll have to let me know what you think, what kind of recipes you want to see, and all that jazz! Can’t wait to hear what you think.
Broccoli Salad with Avocado and Bacon
For the broccoli
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 6 pieces cooked bacon crumbled
For the avocado sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- water as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare an ice bath for the broccoli.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add the broccoli florets and cook for 60 seconds. Remove the broccoli from the hot water and dunk them immediately into the ice bath. Remove the broccoli from the ice bath and transfer it into a large bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, red onion, golden raisins and cooked bacon and toss to combine.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado and lemon juice and pulse until smooth. If it's still chunky, add a few tablespoons of water to smooth it out. Season the avocado sauce with salt and pepper and then toss the broccoli salad in the avocado sauce. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve.